The Smile
微笑
I was sure that I was to be killed.
一想到自己明天就沒命了,
I became terribly nervous.
我不禁陷入極端的惶恐。
I searched my pockets to see if there were any cigarettes, which had escaped their search.
我翻遍了口袋想看看有沒有一支沒被他們搜走的香煙,
I found one and because of my shaking hands,
但我的手緊張得不停發抖,
I could barely get it to my lips.
連將煙送進嘴里都成問題。
But I had no matches, they had taken those.
而我的火柴也在搜身時被拿走了。
I looked through the bars at my jailer.
我透過鐵欄望著外面的警衛。
He did not make eye contact with me.
他并沒有注意到我在看他。
I called out to him, Have you got a light?
我叫了他一聲,能跟你借個火嗎?
He looked at me, shrugged and came over to light my cigarette.
他轉頭望著我,聳了聳肩,然后走了過來,
As he came close and lit the match,
就在他走進點燃我的香煙時,
his eyes accidentally locked with mine.
他的眼光無意中與我的相接觸。
At that moment, I smiled. I don’t know why I did that.
這時我突然沖著他微笑。我不知道自己為何有這般反應。
Perhaps it was nervousness, perhaps it was because,
也許是過于緊張,或者是因為,
when you get very close, one to another,
當你如此靠近另一個人,
it is very hard not to smile.
你很難不對他微笑。
In any case, I smiled.
不管是處于何種理由,我對他笑了。
In that instant, it was as though a spark jumped across the gap between our two hearts, our two human souls.
就在這一剎那,這抹微笑如同火花般打破了我們心靈間的隔閡。
I knew he didn’t want to,but my smile leaped through the bars and generated a smile on his lips, too.
受到了我的感染,他的嘴角不自覺地也現出了笑容。雖然我知道他原無此意。