D 美國人的口頭禪
9. It is a shame!
這是一句可以用在許多適當情況的口語 (Catch-all phrase),是表示一種輕度的「遺憾」或「同情」(a form of sympathy or regret) 但沒有「羞恥」的意思。例如:
It is a shame that your car got stuck in the snow.(你的汽車陷在雪里,真糟糕。)
When I said, "I lost ten dollars from my pocket.",he replied, "It is a shame!"(當我說:「我從口袋里掉了十塊錢」,他回答:「真遺憾?」)
至於 "What a shame",其實與 "it is a shame" 意思相似,也有 "It is too bad" 的味道。例如:
What a shame that his son’’s behavior is so rude.(他兒子的粗魯行為是令人遺憾的)
10. May it ever be thus!
意思是:希望保持現在的情況,不會改變。(I hope it will not change; may the situation always remain the same.),通常用在喜慶時,也有祝你與現在一樣的健康快樂之意。(I hope you are always as healthy and happy as now.) 例如:
We are wonderful friends; may it ever be thus!(我們是好友,愿永遠如此!)
He said to the newly weds, "May it ever be thus!"(他對新婚夫婦說:「愿你們永遠這樣的恩愛、幸福」)
11. Am I being petty?
意思是:「我是氣量小嗎?」或「我是心胸狹窄嗎?」(narrow-minded) 這是一個人做了或說了某件事情後,唯恐別人批評或指責而自加「反省」的表態。(或表示謙虛)
這里用 verb to be 的現在進行式,表示氣量小或心胸窄是「暫時性」的。而 Am I petty? 又是指「經常性」的。(但是誰又愿意承認自己是經常的氣量小,心胸窄呢!所以為了「自尊心」,通常不說"I am petty",只說"I am being petty." 同理:
Am I being over-reactive?(或 over sensitive?)(我是反應過火或過份敏感嗎?)
Are you being in bad mood?(你情緒不好嗎?)都是強調「暫時性」。否則就不必使用現在進行式 (being)
(主詞可用任何人稱代名詞 you, we, he, she, they 等,動詞可用任何時態。)
12. Stay tuned!
這多半是指播音員在收音機或電視上所說的。意思是:「稍等一下,下面還有」(Stay where you are in the same channel),但也可以表示對一件事情的繼續討論 (to keep continuing the same issue)。(tuned是形容詞,原意是調好電臺或電視)例如:
Stay tuned, there will be more on this subject tomorrow.(稍等,這個問題明天再談。)
Stay tuned 的等候時間,可長可短,要看情況而定。
然而 "wait a moment" 通常是指 immediately,時間較短。例如:
Stay tuned(或 wait a moment)I will be right back.(指馬上回來)
但是:
We have to stay tuned regarding the name change of our school.(我們必須等待校名的變更)(等待時間較長)
13. You can say that again!
這句話的意思是「我同意你」(I agree with you.)或「你對了」(You are right.)例如:
When the professor spoke on human rights, the students responded, "You can say that again!"(當教授談到人權時;學生回答說:「你說得對!」)
雖然這句話的主詞通常只用第二人稱單數 You,但在某些情況下,也可以用其他人稱。例如:
When we heard Mr. Clinton’’s speech on tax reduction, my wife turned to me and said, "He can say that again!"(當我們聽到柯林頓先生減稅的講演時,內人轉頭對我說:「他說得對!」)
14. Let me sleep on it.
意思是「讓我考慮一下」或「讓我想想看」(let me think about it.)(這與 sleep 沒有關系)例如:
Let me sleep on your proposal.(讓我考慮你的建議。)
When he asked if she wanted to stay with him, she said, "Let me sleep on it."(當他問她要不要留下來,她說:「要想想看」。)
在 "let me sleep on it." 中,me 可用其他人稱代名詞(him, her, you, us, them 等),it 有時也用 this 或 that 代替。
15. Take heart!
意思是「勇敢些」、「不必苦惱」、「振作起來」(be brave; don’’t worry; don’’t let things get you down)(多半指感情方面,比較 emotional)例如:
Take heart, and the situation will be better.(不必怕,情況會好些。)
Take heart, I am sure you will be successful in the future.(振作起來吧,我相信你將來會成功的。)
16. Tune him out!
意思是「別聽他的」,「不必理會他」(don’’t listen to him; don’’t pay attention to him.)例如:
Mr. Lee just talked nonsense; tune him out.(李先生在瞎扯,別聽他的。)
I am going to tune her out when she begins to speak on the subject.(當她談及主題時,我不想理會她。)
The husband tuned out his wife when he was watching the football game.(老公看足球賽時沒有理會太座。)
(tune out 有時也可連在一起使用)(在 "tune him out" 這句口語里,動詞 tune 可用任何時態;受詞 him 也可用其他人稱代名詞。)
E 美式慣用語
Eg. I’’ll back you up all the way.我完全支持你。
原句: I will support you from beginning to end.
Eg. Why don’’t you get off my back?
不要來打擾我,好不好?
原句:Don’’t disturb me.
Eg. That’’s enough of your back talk.
不許你回嘴。
原句: I don’’t like the way you argue with me.
Eg. Oh, my aching back
啊呀,天啊,真糟!
原句: Oh, God!
Eg. I must say this about Lee, he’’s really on the ball.
他做人醒目勤奮。
原句: He’’s really working hard.
Eg. I’’m beat.
我累死了。
原句: I’’m in exhausted.
Eg. Why should I beat my brains out for the salary I’’m getting?
我拿這么一點薪水,犯不著傷腦筋。
原句: I’’m only getting a small salary, so I don’’t need to work too hard.
Eg. Row,beat it!
走開點。
原句: Get away。
Eg. Where did you get the beat-up old car?
你從哪兒弄來那輛老爺車?
原句: Where did you buy the broken-down car?
Eg. Keep your big mouth shut.
住嘴。
原句: Stop talking.
Eg. He is a big-time operator.
他這人很吃得開。
原句:He has Rood connections.
Eg. Give me a break.
給我一個機會啦。
原句:Give me a chance.
Eg. Don’’t brush me off.
不要敷衍我。
原句:Don’’t stall me.
Eg. I don’’t buy your story.
我不相信你。
原句:I don’’t believe you.
Eg. Let’’s call it quits.
算了吧!
原句: Let’’s forget it.
Eg. His words carry a lot of weight.
他的話很有力量。
原句: He is very influential.
Eg. He is trying to cash in on me.
他想占我便宜。
原句: He is trying to take advantage from me.
Eg. It’’s a lot of chicken feed.
這是小意思,不算什么。
原句: It’’s nothing.
Eg. Don’’t chicken out. Be a man.
不要退縮了。
原句:Don’’t back out.
Eg. It’’s my cup of tea.
這很合我胃口。
原句:It’’s my favorite.
Eg. "What’’s my cut?"
我有什么好處?
原句:what’’s my share?
Eg. Cut it out.
不要這個樣子啦!
原句: Don’’t be like that.
Eg. That will be the day.
有這么一天就好了。
原句:It’’s not possible.
Eg. He double-crossed me.
他出賣了我。
原句: He betrayed me.
Eg. He’’s down and out.
他已經完了。
原句:He is finished.
Eg. Drop dead.
走開點。
原句:Go away.
Eg. Take it easy.
不要這么緊張。
原句: Relax.
What’’s eating you?
你有什么煩惱?
原句:what’’s bothering you?
Keep an eye on him.
看住他。
原句:Watch him.
He is a fast talker.
他老是說得天花亂墜。
原句:He is always bragging.
I am fed up.
我已經厭倦了。
原句: I am sick and tired.
Please fill me in.
請你把情形告訴我。
原句: Please tell me all about it.
It’’s full of hot air.
這是雷聲大雨點小。
原句:Lots of talk and no action.
What’’s the gag?
這里面有什么奧妙?
原句:What’’s the trick?
He told me to get lost.
他叫我走開。
原句:he told me go away.
That’’s a good gimmick.
那是一個好辦法。
原句:That’’s good thinking.
He gave me a pain in the neck.
他真叫我頭痛。
原句:He gave me trouble.
He’’s always on the go.
他永遠是前進的。
原句: He’’s always going ahead.
I’’ll have another go at it.
我再試一次。
原句: I’’ll try again.
I’’ll go along with you.
我同意你。
原句: I’’ll agree with you.
It’’s a good deal.
這是一個好買賣。
原句:It’’s a good bargain.
He always goofs off.
他總是糊里糊涂。
原句: He always slips.
實習生:李帥男