Ⅰ Introduction
It is impolite to begin a meal until everyone is seated. It is also considered impolite to chew food with an open mouth, or to talk while chewing anything。
在他人落座之前就開始就餐是很不禮貌的。張大嘴巴咀嚼食物,或者邊咀嚼邊說話,也被認為是不禮貌的。
Americans often order the food they like to eat, separately from the group. If a person has had enough or is full,it is considered impolite to insist on that person having more to eat or drink。
美國人聚在一塊時,經常是各自點他們喜歡吃的食物。如果有人吃完了或吃飽了,強烈要求她/他再多吃一點或者再多喝一點被認為是沒有禮貌的。
Ⅱ Sample Sentences
1. I’d rather not, really, I’m not used to strong drinks。
我還是不了,真的,我不習慣喝烈酒。
2. Shall we have a snack at this coffee shop?
我們可以去咖啡館吃點小吃嗎?
3. We could reserve a window table now。
我們可以現在預定一個靠窗戶的桌子。
4. Would you please pass the toothpicks?
你能把牙簽遞給我嗎?
5. Let’s toast the arrival of the new baby。
我們為新生兒干杯吧。
6. Do you prefer your steak rare, medium or well done?
你比較喜歡生的、中等熟度的,還是完全熟的牛排?
7. Don’t worry about the mess; I will clean it up after the party。
不要擔心這些臟東西,聚會后我會打掃的。
8. Shall we chat a while over a glass of wine before dinner?
我們晚餐前喝杯酒閑談一陣,好嗎?
9. Would you accept my invitation to a stag party?
你會接受我的邀請來參加男人聚會嗎?
10. Can you use chopsticks or would you rather have a knife and fork?
你能用筷子,還是寧愿用刀叉?
Ⅲ Conversations
1. Lisa is a Chinese exchange student who is visiting her friend Tony in Chicago。
(莉莎是個中國的交換生,她去拜訪芝加哥的朋友托尼)
Tony: Want to send out for some Chinese?
想送一些中國的?
Lisa: Some what?
一些什么?
Tony: Some Chinese food. I’m hungry, and there’s a take-out restaurant near here. We can have them deliver and then watch the news on TV while we eat。
一些中國餐。我餓了,這附近有一家外賣餐館。我們可以叫他們送過來,然后我們一邊吃一邊看電視里的新聞。
Lisa: No, I’d rather go out. The Chinese food here is rather different from what I had at home. Maybe we can try some other food today… What about that all-you-can-eat place we passed the other day, the one over in the shopping center?