Work 工作
Warming-up Dialogues 熱身對話
Dialogue 1
英語情景對話1
A: You‘ve been at the work for quite some time. Why not take a break and go out for coffee?
甲:你已經伏案工作好長時間了。休息一下,喝點咖啡吧。
B: I’m afraid I can‘t. Right now I’m up to my neck in work.
乙:恐怕不行。現在我太忙了。
Dialogue 2
英語情景對話2
A: He seems to he under much pressure recently.
甲:他近來似乎壓力很大。
B: Yes, he is.
乙:是的。
A: How come?
甲:為什么?
B: His boss asks too much from him. He has to meet one deadline ofter another.
乙:他的老板對他要求太高了。他不得不一個接一個地趕工期。
A: I do hope the pressure is off him soon.
甲:真希望他能早日交差。
Dialogue 3
英語情景對話3
A: What sort of job have you had?
甲:你以前干過什么工作?
B: I used to teach in a university. But I‘d rather not work there any more.
乙:我在大學里教書。但我不想再干下去了。
A: Why is that?
甲:為什么?
B: Relatively it’s a sedentary job, not the kind I like. I prefer an active one.
乙:相對而言教書是一種比較安逸的工作,而我喜歡有活力的工作。
A: Suppose it had given you a pay rise, a 50%?
甲:如果大學里再給你增加50%的薪水又會如何?
B: Money is not the most important thing. All I want is a job that gives full play to my skills.
乙:錢并不是最重要的,我最需要一份能讓我全力施展才能的工作。
A: Are you sure you‘re familiar with the job you are applying for?
甲:你對應聘的工作熟悉嗎?
B: Yes. Actually I had held a similar job.
乙:是的。事實上我曾做過類似的工作。
Hints 語言提示
1.take a break意為“休息一下”,同have a rest.
2.be up to one’s neck (ears) in 此短語表示某人需要做的事情太多,都要堆到脖子或耳朵那么高了,意即某人非常忙碌。如:I‘m up to my neck in the whole mess. 我忙得一塌糊。I’m up to my ears in lave. 我愛得天昏地暗。此外,與 neck 有關的短語 break the neck of... 則表示“做完(工作等)最難的部分”。需要注意的是,I‘m up to here. (說話時帶動作,將一只手橫放在脖子前,掌心向下)這一句的意思則與上述幾句話貌同而實不同。該句表示“我受夠了”,意同I’ve
had enough. 或 I‘m fed up。
3.he under much pressure = be under a lot of pressure 壓力很大
4.How come? 本句是非常口語化的表達,與 Dialogue 3中的“Why is that?”一句意思大致相同。類似的表達方式還有 How comes it that...? (怎么會……了呢?)
5.deadline 名詞,原意為“(囚犯逾越時即格殺勿論的)死線”,后引申為“截止時間”,可構成詞組 meet a deadline, 意為“趕期”。
b.sedentary a. 坐定不動的; n. 坐著工作的人
7.a pay rise 加薪
8.give full play to (one’s skills / one‘s speciality)充分發揮(某人的能力/某人的特長)。play 在詞組中為名詞,意為“活動范圍,才能的運用”。
(實習編輯:于曉偉)