Love Your Life熱愛生活
By Henry David Thoreau
However mean your life is, meet it and live it
不論你的生活如何卑微,你都得面對與度過
do not shun it and call it hard names
不要逃避,更不要抱怨
it is not so bad as you are
生活不像你認為的那般壞
It looks poorest when you are richest
當你富甲天下之時,生活卻顯得貧瘠乏味
The fault finder will find faults in paradise
即使在天堂,愛找缺點的人也能找到缺點。
Love your life, poor as it is
即使生活貧窮,你也該熱愛生活
You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poor-house
因為就是在貧濟院,你也有自己快樂激動與光榮的歲月
The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode
夕陽照在貧濟院窗上的反光與照在富人家的一樣耀目
The snow melts before its door as early in the spring.
其門前的積雪也同樣在早春融化
I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there
我只是看到,一個心緒寧靜的人就算居住在貧濟院,生活起來也會心滿意足。
And have as cheering thoughts, as in a palace.
思想愉悅,如同生活在皇宮中一樣。
The town`s poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of any.
在我看來,城鎮中的貧民大凡過著最為無拘無束的生活。
Maybe they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving.
或許他們只是超乎尋常,不然豈會毫無疑懼地接受這一切。
Most think that they are above being supported by the town.
大多數人認為自己超凡脫俗而無須依賴城鎮的資助